Emsisoft Mobile Security is our company’s first response to the world of mobile malware. It has been designed to help you have a safer and more informed Android experience, and to protect your personal privacy from all of the dangers waiting on the web.
Emsisoft Mobile Security…
- Scans all stored files for malware infections.
- Provides real time protection that blocks malicious apps as they arrive.
- Utilizes surf protection technology that blocks access to dangerous websites.
- Includes a privacy audit for installed apps.
- Is designed for maximum efficiency, with little (to zero) system and battery impact.
- Comes standard with Anti-Theft, to lock or wipe your device remotely if it is stolen.
You can find Emsisoft Mobile Security at the Google Play Store (search for “Emsisoft”) or download the APK from the official product page and test it 30 days for free.
System requirements: Android 2.0.1 or higher
Available languages: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Romanian, Portuguese
Why We Created Emsisoft Mobile Security
Practically nobody uses mobile security software. This is a perfect storm environment for financially motivated hackers. The barriers to entry are extremely low, and propagation is a cinch. Just about anyone who knows how to write a computer virus can write one for the mobile world. Although most malicious apps are distributed through alternative app stores, developers need only a valid Google account, $25 and a credit card to publish on Google Play, too.
It’s a Fact
Mobile devices are malware money-makers.
- From 2012 to 2013 the amount of known mobile malware threats increased by 614%.
- Between 92-99% of this increase targeted the Android operating system.
- According to Juniper Networks, there are more than 500 third-party app stores peddling malicious apps; similarly, in 2013 AV-Comparatives found 7,000 malicious apps in just 20 third-party Android stores.
It’s a Personal Threat
Mobile malware is more than just a numbers game – mobile devices are the tools we use to organize our mobile lives. When these tools are hacked, they can be reprogrammed to act just like an infected PC. Mobile devices are different than PCs, though. Mobile devices are intimately connected to almost everything we do. Mobile devices follow us. We keep them in our pockets and our purses. They guide us, entertain us, and connect us – no matter where we are or who we’re with.
Mobile devices are part of us, and when they are attacked it’s personal.
What Can Happen
22% of the world’s population owns a smartphone or mobile device. 20% owns a computer. If you were creating malware, and wanted to infect as many people as you possibly could, which platform would you choose?
While an extra 2% might not seem like much, it would actually give you access to an additional 140 million devices. Furthermore, it’s been shown that SMS messaging fraud – the most prevalent type of mobile malware attack– generates around $10/per infection, immediately. That’s a potential 1.4 billion dollars in additional revenue.
- SMS messaging Trojans comprise 73% of all mobile attacks. These attacks hide behind seemingly legitimate apps, which then connect your device to a premium SMS messaging service owned by the attacker. Your device is hijacked, programmed to send texts to a premium rate phone number, and you foot the bill.
- Mobile rootkits log keystrokes to steal usernames and passwords, and then share your personal information with a remote server. Rootkits can also log and share your current location, and monitor your phone calls and texts.
- Mobile botnets can control thousands of devices at once for nefarious purposes. Remember: more people own mobile devices than own PCs.
- Nearly 1/3 of free mobile apps have permission to track your location, malicious or not.
Our vision is a Malware-Free World. The world has gone mobile, and now the threats are going there too. That means the world needs mobile anti-malware. And that’s why we’ve created Emsisoft Mobile Security, for you.